Auto repair shouldn’t be something you take lightly. When a mechanic is working on your vehicle, a simple mistake could cause lasting damage. This is one of the reasons that using certified mechanics is so important. These certifications help you to know you are dealing with someone who understands exactly what your vehicle needs and has been tested to prove their knowledge.
There are a couple of main certifications you will want to consider when choosing an automotive repair shop. These certifications include:
• ASE Basics – This is the simplest certification type, this shows the mechanic has an understanding of their specialty and has a significant background in automotive repair.
• Factory Training – This type of certification indicates that factory has trained the mechanic in the art of repairing their vehicle. If you need repairs that are specific to a certain brand or model, it will probably be beneficial to seek out a factory trained expert in this instance.
While finding a certified mechanic seems like common sense, many people attempt to save money by taking their vehicles to their uncle Joe or the shade tree mechanic up the street. This is the type of mechanic who has worked on vehicles for the last 20 years and his time dealing with cars makes him an expert even though he has never had any formal training.Get additional information on Dave.
The truth of the matter is that while he might understand the basics of auto repair, vehicles have changed a great deal in the last 20 years.
Modern day vehicles are equipped with highly sophisticated computers that monitor all the vital systems of a car or truck. When a problem is detected, a proper repair usually requires more than simply changing the oil or tightening a few bolts. Often times a vehicle malfunction w ill need to be diagnosed using a special scan tool which retrieves fault codes from the computer memory.
Of course you can greatly reduce the likelihood of a major vehicle breakdown by simply following the suggested maintenance schedule for your car or truck. Here are a few key items that should be done on a regular basis:
• Batteries should be checked immediately if you have trouble starting the engine.
• Tires should be inflated to manufacturer’s specifications. All tires should be rotated every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Be sure to check the owner’s manual for exact recommendations..• Oil changes are a fundamental and vital maintenance procedure that must be done on a regular basis to protect your engine. Failure to have the oil changed can result in catastrophic damage.
• If your vehicle is riding rough, check your transmission fluid. If your vehicle has gone past the 30,000 mile mark, it’s a good idea to have the transmission system flushed.
• Engine coolant should be changed every 30,000 – 50,000 miles, depending on the coolant it uses.
• Power steering fluid should be changed at 50,000 miles or when it runs low.
• Brakes and brake fluid should be checked regularly to ensure safe operation of your vehicle.
Auto repair is not something that should be taken lightly. Staying on top of routine maintenance and working with a certified mechanic can help keep your car running at peak performance while helping you to avoid costly repairs.